Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Chaffin v. Brame

Chaffin v. Brame
233 N.C. 377, 64 S.E.2d 276 (1951)

Facts: Plaintiff was driving on a highway when defendant approached from the opposite direction. Defendant refused to dim his lights, temporarily blinding plaintiff; plaintiff then ran into an unlit truck that had been blocking the whole right lane.

Procedure: Trial found for the plaintiff; defendant appeals.

Issue: Was plaintiff guilty of contributory negligence as a matter of law?

Holding: No.

Reasoning: Since he was blinded by the lights and reacted reasonably by slowing down, the whole don't-drive-faster-than-your-lights doctrine doesn't apply.

2 comments:

SKEET SkIRT said...

I love you!!! I'm a law student in California and check my work against yours. Just wanted to say THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!! Nick www.nickchristensen.com

Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts. My favorite one that you did was the Hamer v. Sidway post. Great stuff!