Sunday, August 3, 2008

Google is My Valet

Yesterday, while caught on the horns of early August boredom and law school anticipation, I made separate google calendars for all six sections of UC 1Ls so that when I do find out what section I'm in, I can simply delete the other five. Not the most efficient method, perhaps, but it killed a few hours.

In the process, I discovered that gmail will send me reminders via text messages! This will be handy, since making all those calendars made it clear to me that it is entirely possible I will have the same class in three different rooms at three different times on highly randomized weekdays. Luckily the professor remains constant, at least. In any case it won't matter because google will send me a reminder ten minutes beforehand telling me which painting the secret passage has moved to today.

In the process of discovering that, I also discovered that I can set filters on my gmail that will forward emails from specific sources to another email address... and that apparently my phone has an associated email address for text messaging! Something like: 9998887777 (at) vtext (dot) com. (Vtext is the associated domain for Verizon wireless. I used it as an example, but this site has a list of other common domains.) I'm probably going to use this to forward emergency emails from the university, like snow days and the like.

In related news, today I discovered http://www.qipit.com/. It takes photos of documents, cleans them up and turns them into a .pdf document. There are examples on the site that are pretty wild. It is, of course, compatible with photo messages from a... guess what... camera phone!

Have I mentioned I have unlimited text and picture messaging?

That last site really excites me because I really like the idea of using a blog to organize my notes, but I've been wondering what I'm going to do about the in-class stuff. I just don't retain as much when I type, even though the entry is faster. I'd resigned myself to transcribing things after the fact, or maybe scanning the notes, but this is soooooo easy as to be ridiculous. According to the site, I could feasibly send their images straight to my blog, again all via cellphone.

My inner geek is so happy right now.

No comments: